MailerLite is one of the most popular email marketing platforms for wellness business owners. But there have been some changes that might require a rethink of MailerLite. Let’s take a look at whether you should be switching to the new version of MailerLite.
In March of 2022 MailerLite brought in their new version. This was a completely separate platform. Once the new version was released you could no longer sign up for the classic version. Existing accounts were allowed to stay on the classic version. However, that is changing for free accounts as of February 1st of 2024. By that time you’ll have to use their simple migration process to move to the new version or upgrade to a paid account.
If you have a paid account you can stay on the classic version or migrate when you feel the time is right.
Benefits of MailerLite new version
Mailerlite has always had one of the most generous free plans and their paid plans are very cost effective. The new version of MailerLite is still one of the cheapest email marketing platforms, but the price has gone up from the Classic version.
Here are some of the things that have improved in the new version:
- The email editor is improved over the tiny edit box in the classic version.
- They’ve added multi trigger automations, but only on the advanced version.
- Automations in general have a few more options even in the free version.
- It is much faster than the old version, meaning you spend less time completing simple tasks.
- Simplified and improved reporting structure, although some features are only available on the advanced version.
What Tech Do You Need?
To start and grow your wellness business
Things that always make MailerLite a good choice
MailerLite is a good choice for your email marketing platform for several reasons.
- MailerLite has one of the best drag and drop email editors I’ve seen in an email marketing platfrom.
- The landing page builder continues to be one of the best available, but the templates are only available in the paid version.
- Templates for websites are also only available in the paid version, but the drag and drop editor means creating a simple site is easy.
- Their stripe integration means you can collect payment on landing pages.
Issues with the new version
Most of the issues I’ve seen are with features removed from the free or lower tier version. Unfortunately if your budget is limited, you'll probably have to live with these limitations.
- You are not allowed extra users on the free plan with the new version but paid plans do allow it.
- You have to pay extra for the advanced version for features that were previously included like the custom HTML editor
- Templates are not available in the free version.
Issues with MailerLite in general
MailerLite has a solid platform but they miss a few key features found in other platforms:
- Fewer integrations available than other platforms. Some platforms like Acuity don’t work with MailerLite. MemberVault integrates with MailerLite for some things, but for other things you’ll need to use Zapier.
- Less advanced automations than some platforms. This is true even with features available in the Advanced version.
- Templates do not seem geared to a wellness audience so will need some tweaking.
Can you stay with the Classic version
If you are on a free plan you’ll need to upgrade to a paid classic plan or switch to the new version by Feb 1, 2024.
If you’re on a paid Classic plan this is staying in place so you don’t have to change. But keep in mind that there will be no new features to MailerLite Classic and issues like the slowness will continue to persist.
The iPad subscribe app only works with the new version, but the iOS Classic app will continue to work with the Classic version.
If you plan on migrating there are a few things to keep in mind:
Migrating to the new version is simple, but there are a few things to keep in mind:
- Past reporting does not migrate over
- You should wait until close to the end of your billing cycle because you won’t get credit for payments made on your Classic account.
- Once you migrate you’ll need to cancel your Classic account billing. Don’t forget this! It doesn’t happen automatically.
- Sent and draft campaigns do not migrate, but can be saved as templates and migrated that way.
- Some integrations with other apps may need to be updated.
Alternatives to MailerLite
With the increase in price for MailerLite you may be considering other options. Here are a few you might be considering.
ConvertKit is more expensive than MailerLite but offers different features so it might be worth considering. I say different because it really depends on what you want to do, for some things MailerLite is better, for some ConvertKit is better. ConvertKit does have a free plan, but it’s much more limited than MailerLite.
MailChimp is another option, but is also more expensive, especially if you want anything but the simplest automations. Their free plan is even more limited than ConvertKit.
Flodesk is an option, but only if your automations are very limited and you don’t need to integrate with any other software. They also charge extra for landing pages.
MailerLite is a good email marketing platform, both with the classic and the new version. I feel that eventually the Classic version will become outdated and it will be necessary to migrate all accounts to the new version. But unless you are on a free plan, there is no need to rush.
Re-evaluating your tech tools is always a good idea. If you are looking for help with your wellness business tech strategy sign up for a tech audit here.